Gateway Counseling is a Christian counseling center founded by Dr. John Hawkins Sr. and John D. Hawkins Jr. to provide assistance to people suffering from a variety of psychological and relational issues such as anxiety, depression and marital distress. John D. Hawkins Jr. is an experienced therapist who has assisted hundreds of clients in overcoming mental, emotional or relational distress. Also, he encourages incorporating spirituality into life uncertainties as a resource for achieving therapeutic goals.
Gateway Counseling Services
Gateway Counseling offers a variety of services when it comes to individual’s psychological and emotional issues. They acknowledge that not every patient has the same needs and specialized therapy is necessary for each case. Here are some of the most common services they serve their patients with:
- Depression & Anxiety – This is one of the most common and treatable mental health disorders due to extensive neurological research. When patients seek therapy, they may feel overwhelming feelings of sadness, and restlessness. Some of the most common symptoms for Major Depression include overwhelming sadness, loss of interest in usual activities, weight loss or gain, changes in sleep patterns, fatigue or low energy, feelings of worthlessness, trouble concentrating, irritability and thoughts of suicide. Anxiety is commonly occurring with other mental and physical illnesses including alcohol or substance abuse. The major types of disorders are: Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Panis Disorder, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Social Anxiety and Specific Phobias.
- Couples Counseling – One of the greatest misconceptions about couple’s counseling is that the relationship or marriage has failed. In fact, it is quite the opposite. Gateway Counseling stresses that couples counseling means that you have not given up. Healthy relationships are a balance between dependence and independence. In couples counseling, they identify these attachment styles and developmental wounds and traumas that are triggered.
- Compulsive Behaviors – Many people engage in excessive use of otherwise healthy aspects of their life, such as exercise, work, food, sex or spending. These behaviors trigger the reward sensories in our brains that make us come back for more. There are a few criterion to characterize excessive behaviors, such as loss of control, continued use despite negative consequences, and preoccupation/fantasy. Gateway Counseling identifies the triggers of these behaviors and uncovers the trauma they originated from.
- Abuse & Trauma – Millions of people suffer from emotional, sexual, and physical abuse. Many studies show that violence and abuse are increasing as well. Trauma affects the brain and alters the brain structure. Trauma alters the limbic system which regulates emotions. Though the human brain is adaptable, abuse causes the brain to go from learning to survival mode. This can cause many disorders in children such as ADHD, learning disorders, bipolar disorder, conduct disorder or oppositional defiant disorder. Gateway Counseling provides specialized help to those suffering from those afflictions.
- Grief & Loss – Losses can come in many shapes and sizes, including: a relationship breakup, loss of health, losing a job, loss of financial stability, death of a pet, loss of a cherished dream, a loved one’s serious illness, or loss of safety after a trauma. There are common symptoms of grief, including: shock and disbelief, sadness, guilt, anger, fear and physical symptoms. Gateway Counseling allows for an outlet for those often suppressed emotions.
If you feel that you or a loved one need counseling to navigate through life’s problems, contact Gateway Counseling by scheduling a session online or giving them a call at (561)-797-0631.